As an Amazon Associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hot tub covers are an essential accessory for spa owners who want to protect their hot tubs from the elements and extend their lifespan.
They consist of a soft foam core surrounded by a vinyl exterior. This combination provides insulation and strength while keeping the hot tub safe from scum, dirt, debris, and other contaminants.
The cover also has straps or clips on each side to secure it when not used. Hot tub covers come in various sizes and colors to fit any spa size and complement any backyard decor.
Save water, heat, and reduce chemical usage
Hot tub covers can help improve energy efficiency, as they help keep the heat in the water and reduce evaporation. This means that less energy is needed to reheat the water regularly.
A cover can also lessen chemical usage by reducing the amount of debris, dirt, and other contaminants that enter the spa. The cover acts as a barrier against these elements, which helps maintain optimal chemical levels, resulting in fewer chemicals needing to be added to the water over time.
You will also save money by going through fewer hot tub filters each year!
Protect your hot tub
Hot tub covers offer physical protection from accidental damage like scratches or tears caused by larger debris (leaves & branches). They also help protect against UV rays that could otherwise cause fading or damage to the inside surface of your spa.
And most importantly, hot tub covers provide safety measures by preventing people or objects from accidentally entering the hot tub when not in use.
Key features you'll want to know about when buying your hot tub cover
When searching for a hot tub cover, there are several important factors to consider. First and foremost, you should look at the quality of the foam core. The foam density should be high enough to provide insulation and strength while keeping debris out. Foam thickness should also be considered, as thicker foam contributes to keeping the heat in more effectively and can bear more weight.
External Vinyl Cover
To get maximum protection from a hot tub cover, you should look for a cover made from marine-grade vinyl. Marine-grade vinyl is among the best materials for hot tub covers due to its strength and durability. Not only does it stand up to extreme temperatures, sun exposure, and rain, but it also resists mold and mildew growth, ensuring that your hot tub cover will stay in good condition for much longer than other materials.
Another feature that often must be addressed is whether or not the cover has a securement system. Even if you don't live in an area with extreme weather, hot tub covers should still have securement straps. Not only do they prevent curious little ones or animals from falling in while you are away, but they also prevent the cover from taking off in a strong gust of wind. Think of it as security for your hot tub like a seat belt for a car - trust us, it's worth it!
With these considerations in mind, you can rest assured knowing you have chosen a durable and reliable hot tub cover for your backyard oasis!
Measuring your hot tub for the perfect fitting cover
Investing in a hot tub cover is an important addition to owning a spa. Still, it isn't just a matter of getting the right size: your measurements need to be spot on to guarantee that you won't run into severe water retention problems, like condensation or weakened edges that allow wind to lift the cover away.
An ill-fitting cover might also result in lost heat and your hot tub's surface becoming unprotected. It's crucial to measure every part of your spa accurately to get a perfect fit and ensure that all kinds of damage are kept at bay. Thankfully, we can tell you exactly how to do it - from square, rectangle, and round spas to those all tricky corners! Soon enough, you'll have the perfect-sized new cover protecting your hot tub for years.
Tools you will need
- Tape measurer
- Carpenter square or two straight edges
- Pencil and paper
- Someone to help (a huge help!)
Typical shapes of a hot tub
- Circular: To accurately measure a circular hot tub, you only need two basic measurements. The first of these calculations is the diameter, which should be taken from the outer edges at the very middle of the hot tub. Don't forget to include any flare-outs in this measurement. The second of these measurements is simply measuring the distance between the top of the acrylic mold and the top of the rim, which is referred to as the length of the skirt.
Square & rectangle: Measure the length and width of your hot tub, either through the center or along the edges, and make sure you measure the skirt length. While it is true that a square hot tub should have equal measurements in both directions, it doesn't hurt to measure both sides just to be sure!
- Rounded square/rectangle: Instead of sharp corners, these have softly-rounded corners, which come in various sizes and radius styles. Measuring for one is easier than it looks - all you need to do is measure the length and width through the center, then measure the corner radius.
- Custom: We recommend contacting a company specializing in custom hot tub covers to ensure you get a perfect cover.
Measuring your hot tub for the perfect fitting cover ensures that it stays in good condition and prevents damage or water retention problems.
Whether you have a square, rectangle, circular, or custom-shaped spa, it's important to take the necessary measurements before investing in a new cover so that you can guarantee it will provide years of protection for your hot tub. Taking the time now means avoiding costly repairs down the line - something no one wants!
With these tips on measuring your hot tub for the proper fitting cover, you can find an ideal solution in no time.
Maintenance and Care Instructions for Hot Tub Covers
Maintaining a hot tub cover is often overlooked, but you have to do it to keep your spa in top-notch condition.
Not only will it help keep your cover looking great, but proper care and cleaning can also extend the life of your hot tub cover and prevent mold, chemical, and sun damage.
With just a few simple steps - from regular maintenance to deep cleaning - you can ensure that your hot tub cover is always ready for fun with family and friends!
Cleaning your cover
Hot tub covers are essential equipment, as they protect against dirt, debris, and moisture build-up, among many other things. It is, therefore, important to have a regular cleaning regimen for your cover that includes a daily clean and a monthly deep clean. Regular cleaning will prevent the build-up of dirt and other contaminants that can easily ruin your hot tub cover.
Important products to have:
Daily cleaning on your hot tub cover keeps it clean and functioning correctly. It should be done as often as needed, such as when rainwater, leaves, sticks, and bugs accumulate. Using your hand, a towel or a broom will do the trick.
We also recommend performing a deeper clean on your cover every few weeks. This involves removing the cover and using a cleaning spray/solution made explicitly for vinyl covers. You should also wipe down the bottom of the hot tub cover, and apply any UV protection products to lengthen the lifespan of your cover!
Mold or Mildew
Maintaining a pristine hot tub cover is vital to any hot tub owner's routine. Unfortunately, ignoring it can lead to significant moisture retention and mold or mildew growth, resulting in a smelly cover that needs attention.
Suppose you notice any strange odors coming from your cover. In that case, you should immediately take action. Surface mildew is an easy one to manage. It can typically be scrubbed off with a cleaner. You can then treat the cover with a diluted vinegar solution. But if the smell persists and there's evidence of mildew on the underside of the cover, it's probably time to grab hold of disinfectant spray.
Doing so will help fight the further development of mold and mildew; left untreated, however, these issues can penetrate through the vapor barrier and into your foam, at which point replacement may become unavoidable.
Be committed to regularly treating your cover for odor-causing fungi to keep it smelling fresh and safe for everyone!
Ensuring your hot tub cover lasts for years doesn't require much effort; with the proper maintenance plan and regular attention, it can quickly become a reality.
- Check for any signs of wear or damage on the vinyl material, and if needed, patch up any weak spots with a vinyl repair kit.
- Address any zipper issues. Please pay special attention to the zippers, as they must be fixed immediately to prevent water from getting into the foam core.
- Prioritize good hot tub chemistry to ensure you have balanced water. This prevents bacteria from forming in your hot tub, which your cover can absorb.
- Clean both sides of your hot tub cover regularly with a special solution for vinyl covers.
- Take off your cover and allow it to dry out. This helps reduce moisture build-up, which can lead to mold and mildew growth on your cover. We recommend doing this at least once per month.
Taking care of your hot tub cover makes it look better and helps extend its lifespan so you can enjoy more time relaxing in the comfort of your backyard oasis! With just a few simple steps, you can ensure that your hot tub cover will remain in good condition for years.
Hot Tub Cover Bonus Tips
- Make sure your cover is secured: Think of all the risks of leaving your spa exposed - wind, rain, or even animals could cause severe damage. To ensure you're safe and secure, always double-check that everything is secure, clips are hooked in place, and use heavy-duty cover locks for extra protection so nature won't have anything to do with your spa! A few additional minutes taking care of business each time guarantees you'll have a spa you can relax in any time.
- Get a hot tub cover lifter: Don't let the chore of taking your hot tub cover on and off be a miserable experience. Instead, get yourself a hot tub cover lifter and make the process easy as 1-2-3! A good cover lifter will help you quickly and easily remove a heavy spa cover with minimal effort, allowing you more time to relax in your hot tub while providing additional safety benefits...and saving your back from strain!
Prepare for the elements: Whenever a storm rolls in, give your tub some extra TLC before bad weather strikes. Start by checking surrounding trees and branches that may cause damage to your hot tub - make sure they are trimmed and secured. Remove all items around the tub, such as decks, furniture, and toys. Tie down any moving parts on the cover, like straps or latches; this will keep them from getting damaged during heavy winds.
Choosing the right hot tub cover will keep your spa in top condition. With the help of our guide, you should now know what features and measurements are most important when selecting a cover for your hot tub. Not only will this protect it from damage caused by dirt, debris, UV rays, and extreme temperatures, but it will also provide safety measures against accidental entries or wind gusts!
So don't wait any longer - find the perfect fitting cover for your spa today!